Friday, October 7, 2016

9/29/16: First Day of Classes


  1. 9/29/16 Thu
    1. In-class announcements in quantum and E&M for the SPS open house! First announcement is incredible, perhaps the best little presentation I’ve ever given. Planned it over breakfast, and the walk to class cleared my mind just enough. All the segues are beautiful.
    2. E&M review of vector calc, extremely boring. But the prof seems energetic and cogent enough.
    3. Second presentation for quantum (in the same classroom, most of the same people) doesn’t go as well, since I’m fixated on the success I had. I think you need to have something rehearsed, but then to not think about it for like 5 minutes before presenting. Basically all the physics folks I know are in quantum (Devin, Isaak, Hira, Camellia, Justin, Chris, … know I’m forgetting about 5 people)
    4. Table for the SPS at the club fair. Not quite as great as yesterday since we’re in the middle of the tent. Talk with Mallory of the League a bit. Devin comes by for 15 minutes but mostly it’s just me.
    5. Run back to SPS lounge to print posters and hand them to Isaak to put up be-a-cu-ase at this point I’m exhausted and super hungry. Trend of late lunches continue as I eat one of the best sandwiches of my life at 2104, read more of Henry’s blog.
    6. Go to Creating a Company. We spend the whole class making little speeches introducing ourselves and writing little summaries on the blackboard. I’m fried for some reason and my suspicion that I’m going to forget half the things I want to say is self-fulfilling. I agonize over this half of class, but somehow at the end of class I snap back to normal and have a fun conversation with some people I might team with.
    7. Run to Glee. Good times! The friendly vibe continues, get to talk to some noobs, we sing a fun Celtic song called Finnan Hadden. Ask conductors about Furmata rehearsal and they advise me to do Parting Glass or Rocky Road to Dublin vs. Cheerleader, just more interesting and musical.
    8. Dinner with Chase! He actually messaged me, which is cool--I remember Freshman year he was nervous even to write an email to anyone for fear of miscommunication.
    9. We meet in Red square, decide to go back to 2104 and get some coupons, thence to Jewel of India, my favorite lunch place where I’ve never been for dinner. It’s totally empty. It’s a good time but turns out for dinner, though the chai and salad and dessert are out, you have to buy them all separately. So I end up getting the combo (Thali) plate. Chase gets the tandoori, which ends up going home with me, Chase likes it but is still somewhat picky. Have some interesting conversations about games and anime as usual, hear about his summer and his friends’ weird existential relationship shenanigans.
    10. On the way back, talk turns to my troubles with overloading myself and the events of the previous evening. Chase has some insightful comments, makes me think.
    11. Return to 2104, get sucked into a conversation with Xin and Molly. Plus Xin is restless, can’t sleep :P Finally just have to declare my exhaustion and crash.

No comments:

Post a Comment