Friday, October 7, 2016

10/3/16: Hoops and Bicycle Maintainence


  1. 10/3/16
    1. It’s Monday, the day of the 8:30 tutorial sections. Wake up bright and early, make it to my first tutorial (E&M) almost on time. More (!) review of basic calculus concepts. I can see how it would help some people but am about to go postal.
    2. Get a T-shirt from SPS lounge, run over to Honors Phys 121 class and make an announcement for the open house. A good full circle feeling after taking that class first quarter at the UW. Leave my notebook to collect mailing list entries and duck out like a ghost, as quickly as I came.
    3. Second tutorial also boring as *@&($. Except this time, Winnie is at my table, plus some other friendly gente. And, I get into a discussion with the TA about integrating delta functions, which gets me about 3 days farther into the skipped 228 material I’m missing :)
    4. StatMech! Make an announcement (starting to be old hat :). Marcel dives into an interesting derivation of ideal gas relation U = 3/2 PV, which doesn’t rely on particles not colliding.
    5. Hang out in SPS lounge as is the norm, working on entering emails for the SPS newsletter. Excitement builds for the first Lunchbox Seminar. It begins, and I eat Xin’s noodles, pizza, and an Asian pear while Martin Z. of MIT regales us with the tale of his conversion to experimentalism, his early work on Bose-Einstein condensate and particle coolers. Afterwards chat with a new dude, very curious transfer student Joss.
    6. Return to 2104, grab my bike, and run it down to the ASUW bike shop. I’m hoping for some air and a little oil on my chain; instead, I get the most knowledgeable dude ever to be enthusiastic about teaching me how a bike works. He diagnoses my sticky gears, shows me how a derailleur works and how to adjust the bale, answers all my questions about how bikes actually run, even taking apart a hubcap mechanism to show me the ratchets that couple/decouple the pedals to the back wheel. THEN we oil my chain and I air up the tires. Super great experience.
    7. Return to 2104. Decide not to ride to Rising Sun to get some produce. Instead I go play basketball. Best decision ever. Put on the terrifically comfortable and tragically unused basketball shoes my sweet Grandma got me for Christmas, and hit the gyms. Get into a game almost immediately, face off against an older dude who can’t handle my hustle and never gets open :) My offense isn’t great but I set a lot of picks. At the end I can’t imagine abandoning the game ever again.
    8. I’m not sure what I do for dinner.
    9. Do a little homework.
    10. Go to the music building again for another rehearsal. This time not only the practice rooms but the glee room was locked. So I find a random piano in the hallway and get to work. At the end, I go into the stairwell and take a bunch of videos of myself singing to iron out the details. Here’s one:
    11. https://goo.gl/photos/6jXoCumpT8Qfj4466

1 comment:

  1. joan0716@sbcglobal.netOctober 9, 2016 at 9:18 PM

    Thanks for sending the preview audition. You have a beautiful voice, and it was a bonnie rendition. Hope you get the part. Thanks for passing it on. J&T

    ReplyDelete