Friday, October 7, 2016

10/2/16: Whatcha Cooking?


  1. 10/2/16 Sunday
    1. Cook breakfast with Xin and Brandon. We make french toast and omelettes. It is great. Truly. Luxurious to have our own kitchen.
    2. I don’t remember most of today but what I do remember: the Family Dinner! So it is a tradition, that the first Sunday of every month, folks volunteer to make dinner for everyone (HFS buys the groceries :) I was making bananas foster for dessert.
    3. The dinner was amazing. ⅔ of the house were there. It was carne asada tacos, with ALL the fixings.
    4. One of my floormates surreptitiously provides me with rum, while our RA does her best to look the other way. I get up from dinner a bit early to start cooking the bananas; done properly, a batch should only take me 5 minutes.
    5. However, on the first attempt, the brown sugar doesn’t dissolve in the butter and the sauce is lost before the rum even enters the picture. The second attempt, hastily thrown together, hangs together a bit longer before failing in the same manner. Then I get the bright idea of adding water. On the third attempt, the brown sugar melts smoothly into the butter. In go the bananas, which caramelize to a rich golden hue; and then the rum, which I burn off with a lighter. Molly helps me while I scramble to ready all the ingredients, she measures the rum, and we hustle to get some bowls with cold ice cream ready to receive bananaic consummation.
    6. The second proper batch works as well as its predecessor and the dessert is a big hit. I get to enjoy the last bowl. It is really good :)
    7. I think afterwards I get into a game of pool. And then Molly comes and chats with Xin and I in the room a bit, and all three of us watch an episode of an anime called Re: Zero about a guy who finds a fantasy world and assumes he’s in a scripted game of D&D.
    8. THEN I go to the music building. All the practice rooms have changed locks, so I go to Glee room. It is quiet as cold space in that room. Finish working on the SPS newsletter (did I tell you I migrated that thing to MailChimp, found a PO box and a bona fide @uw address and everything, and made a badass newsletter template that looks like Venkat’s Breaking Smart newsletter? Yeah…)
    9. Then I start practicing Parting Glass for the Furmata audition. I actually sound really good, much better than I expect, and head back to 2104 for sleep with a light step.

No comments:

Post a Comment