Wednesday, April 8, 2015

UW Update Tuesday 4/7/15

1.     UW Update Tuesday 4/7/15
a.     Alright, I’ll keep it short since it’s late.
b.     Planned on machine shop, but isn’t until next week. Ate breakfast with Peter, a socially awkward but very nice and interesting, mathematically inclined dormmate. Read physics, went through Mathematica docs posted by Garcia. Figured out how to submit CS homework.
c.      Was planning lunch with Ayush, but he had to rush downtown for an interview that landed him an internship. So I texted Chase and we ate in the HUB. Tried the pasta place there, which I had never(!) tried because I had assumed it wasn’t qualitatively different from the place in the 8, until Johan pointed out that the HUB pasta place skillets their pasta fresh. The pasta was really good!
d.     Returned to dorm, grabbed Arduino, headed to Arduino workshop at makerspace. Got there early and got the drivers installed on my machine that I wasn’t able to do without plugging in the Arduino. Had to use theirs due to lack of A-B USB cable, but good news: my Uno isn’t really different or horribly outdated from the model they’re using. Went through fairly basic stuff, but still good because after observing an experienced Arduino-er teach basic stuff, I can feel that I understand the basic workflow and am not missing anything. I’ll probably go from here to the latter chapters of the basic Arduino book I got with the Arduino several years ago.
e.     Rushed to Glee Club. We’re singing Gaudete!! (For those of you who don’t know, this song was a big hit in homeschool choir.) We’re also singing The Parting Glass, an amazing song I actually thought would be a great candidate for Glee Club when asked about songs I’d really like to perform by a non-Glee-Club affiliated person. Psyched!
f.      Went from there to the latter end of a Startup UW night. Met up with Ayush, listened to some humorous pitches (the one that won was basically Tinder for street fighting). Hung around afterwards. Amazing how many ideas were being slung around, agreements to meet up and collaborate were being formed, in the 20 minutes I was there. Very vibrant.
g.     Walked out and met Johan and Diane on the Ave. Surmised it might be some kind of date, so I wasn’t surprised when they hinted I wouldn’t be eating with them. Hence, continued with my plan to try a 5.95 Thai special Dad had seen when I lunched with him. The Thai place was new, the special was legit, and the food was plentiful and very tasty! Will definitely be returning.
h.     Returned to the dorm to look for this book I seem to have lost.
i.       Headed out to meet Johan in the CSE labs. Hung out there for several hours. Johan showed me the way he was using Git, and I started setting Git up on my own machine. Chatted with other CSE 311 people. Walked back with Johan and Michael from CSE 311. Double-checked one hw problem with Michael on sidewalk outside of Haggett, both of us sitting on the ground with laptops and paper. He had written a nifty program to check his work, but my Mathematica work found a bug in his program.

j.       Wrote this log (so much for short!) and hastily attempted to seize the remaining 7.5 hours left to my mental maintenance processes.

2 comments: