Thursday, April 16, 2015

UW Update 4/15/15

1.     UW Update 4/15/15
a.     A good day. Went to physics and reviewed stuff from past chapters.
b.     Then to linear. Learned some new theorems and took a quiz. One part I couldn’t calculate fast enough without a trick I wasn’t clever enough to use, but who cares?
c.      Physics lab. Worked with an oscilloscope, which was pretty neat.
d.     Remembered that I would have the same not very good substitute prof again, and that Johan had mentioned skipping lecture b/c he (and I, probably) knew the logic. I looked at the lecture slides. After investing 15 minutes working them out, I was committed to skipping lecture, and texted Johan. We got lunch, deciding to sit with a random person when we couldn’t find a table and to try to start a conversation. We succeeded—we talked to an interesting biochem major about classes and research.
e.     Talked with Johan a bit more about housing. Turned out his group fell through and he’s looking at getting a non-UW run studio apartment. Interesting.
f.      Walked with Johan to pick up a car (part of a service where you pay fairly low rates to borrow cars for short drives). The car was pretty sweet—a little smartcar that nevertheless had some trunk space. Johan dropped me off at Lander and continued on to work.
g.     At Lander, I talked to the HFS people, who answered some of my questions about the housing application. Apparently, we’ll be able to select into any rooms that are available in about a week. This imperative assignment sounds much better than the fuzzy declarative freshman assignment (I tell HFS my preferences, and it tries to assign me a good fit).
h.     Returned to dorm and did CS hw. Then went to soccer.
i.       We lost our game badly, again partly due to strategy errors. I didn’t do too well as a keeper, but was much more successful as a defender. We resolved to get a practice in. Then Francis, who I’d played chess with once in the dorms, invited me to sub in with another team. That game was fun, although again we lost. I played forward; I got plenty of space through intensive running and several times got in position to score, but messed up my ball control L. It was pretty fun.
j.       Met with Xin and Brandon and Donovan for dinner.
k.     Went to Startup UW’s latest event, a presentation on marketing by (marketing/SEO consultant)/software CEO mogul Rand Fishkin of Moz. He was really interesting—I could tell he was idea driven vs. trying to pitch himself or content to recite empty phrases. He started his presentation with a 10min introduction to the Fermi Paradox, pointing to the exact same article I’d really enjoyed on the subject, then used the idea of filtering to structure his marketing discussion. He used some other analogies that I thought were really neat. They weren’t necessary models for understanding what he was talking about, more aesthetic wrappers (interesting but makes sense for a marketer). They really worked! I can remember whole packages of concepts related by a single analogy (gaining traction by publishing content works like a flywheel, lots of effort to get started, forces are additive, remove friction, etc.), nothing profound, but a great wrapper and connector.
l.       Returned to dorm. Did a little more CS and said hi to Eleanor.

m.   Finally filled out housing application with Brandon and Xin. Feels good to get that done. Then played some tennis with them. Finally, ate some Rick’s (3 days in a row! Actually, it was neat because the volunteers there, which I knew, gave me my ice cream for free J). Read The Martian. Wrote this log and signed off. HoH

No comments:

Post a Comment