Tuesday, April 14, 2015

UW Update 4/13/15

1.     UW Update 4/13/15
a.     Woke, struggled to don my Human bandana, and went out into the wild world.
b.     Walking through the quad, I kept my head on a swivel. As I was late to physics, I looked behind me and started to run. A few seconds later, I heard footfalls behind me, and leapt forward in panic. An instant too late! One of the disguised “Original Zombies” slapped me on the back of the backpack. I handed in my Human card and continued to physics. (Reflecting, I realized no other humans were in the quad—they had probably taken side routes to classes.)
c.      Physics was interesting—Garcia attempted to explain the math of quantum mechanics—but mostly stuff that was in the book.
d.     Linear. More proofs concerning the span of sets of vectors (all the points you can get to/vectors you can make with a “linear combination” of the vectors, essentially moving a scalar length along the first vector’s direction, then a scalar length along the second’s direction… (for each vector in the set). Found Winnie from Go club and McMahon had joined the class.
e.     Did physics homework in the CSE building, grabbed bbq in Red Square, and went to lunchbox. Very interesting potential quantum computing architecture based on defects in diamond crystal that essentially behave in ways we associate with atomic nuclei (bound electrons, system with discrete “spin” that can be bound to nearby actual nuclei). The postdoc lecturer was super nice and tried to explain some of the more basic details of quantum we haven’t covered yet to me. We had the awesome white-haired (department head?) dude back leading the Lunchbox and asking questions, instead of the more administrative Margot Nims.
f.      Went to CSE. Didn’t learn anything new L More review of stuff I learned in Logic, taught by a less than competent substitute who left a bunch of students in confusion about simple ideas.
g.     Talked to Johan and Irena. Returned to Haggett. Did laundry, looked more into 2104 House, a cheap, well-located, totally awesome housing option that I assume we have no chance of getting.
h.     Called HFS and found a) we are totally eligible to live in the 2104 House, and b) there isn’t usually high demand for 2104 rooms! Crazy! Will pitch it hard to Xin and Brandon.
i.       Played badminton with Xin. First played Xin, then we both challenged another pair to doubles. Then I played one of them one-on-one. It was fun, but Xin was a bit dispirited, (maybe because I beat him? Maybe because he has a ton of homework). I wasn’t going to let him come back from the gym with that awful feeling of not fully having worked out, so we went up to the track on the top floor, which was actually pretty nice, and ran some laps. Xin totally exhausted himself.
j.       Returned to dorm. Showered, sent email, headed to the 8. Ate dinner with Chase. Talked with him while finishing laundry.
k.     Went to Rick’s! Wasn’t nearly as busy as opening night. It was pretty fun. Ayla showed me some dance moves, and Xin, Chase, and Ayush all came calling. Set up lunch with Ayush.
l.       Returned with my ice cream and read The Martian. So awesome!
Wrote this log and hit the hay.

No comments:

Post a Comment