Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Throwback Easter Entry


  1. Throwback Tuesday Easter Entry
    1. This entry, prepare to be transported almost a month back in time to Spring Break, so that my Easter memories might be preserved and strengthened against the rush of new ones :D Highlights below:
    2. First up, the Computer History museum. I can’t remember which day we went on, only that it was one of the neatest collections that ‘ere I’ve visited. There was classic IBM propaganda from the era of its domination (“Think” exhorted awesome signs which I should totally laser-cut). Dad, Izzy and I geeked out about the history of CS, and Dad showed us items from his childhood. Super awesome. Will have to go there next year if we make it up to Easter.
    3. I *think* a day afterwards, we visited a nonprofit organization doing something very clever--renting costumes! Everyone had great fun trying on hats (I couldn’t decide between the cowboy and the grey bowler). I thought this colorful clown coat looked awesome, but nobody agreed with me.
    4. Good thing I picked the cowboy hat, because that evening we squared off in a game of poker. Aunt Joan raised the stakes with elaborate gifts to the winner of each pot, which threw the sisters into competitive fury. I, or shall I say, the brooding Gravel Eyes, protected my $10 in quarters under the brim of my Stetson until they started getting friendly :D The night went late; we adjourned when M became exhausted.
    5. Lots of other awesome memories from the trip deserve to be recorded, but I’m short on time so I must be short with words :P We had some great conversations on philosophy (the age the AI pioneers herald was upon us 5000 years ago, according to sage Tom Laurence Floating Cloud Foss), and on modern medicine and teaching (ah, the foolish bureaucracies of large universities :) Was sorry to go, but caught a flight back to Sea-Tac just in time to make my Monday classes.

No comments:

Post a Comment