Wednesday, April 20, 2016

4/19/16


  1. 4/19/16
    1. Slept in
    2. Math. Realized I hadn’t been hanging a ton with the math crowd, so got lunch with Andrew, Natalie, Emily.
    3. Work, then off to CENPA! Met Ronaldo for an afternoon of research fun. Our task: to get some magnetic field measurements. We got our flux gate magnetometer set up, debugged it (iron tables suck), made sure north was the direction we expected. We tried a test run just holding the thing next to a ruler, but way too imprecise and difficult to hold the thing freehand at the right spot and at the right orientation.
    4. We wanted to clamp the magnetometer to the ruler, but we couldn’t because the clamps were all iron or steel. So we spent a frustrating hour brainstorming how to attach the d**n thing. A threaded rod and nuts? All the rods we could find were magnetic. Screws and nuts? A pain, and none the right size regardless. An O-clamp--same problems. A custom-cut piece of styrofoam--maybe. We got close to sending me to the machine shop to make a custom aluminum clamp.  Ronaldo insisted we had to have an easier solution available, and I hit upon it--frickin’ rubber bands :D We raided the front office, amusing the deskperson on duty with our sophisticated experimental techniques. Then we took data. Ironically, the process was exactly like the incredibly-phony seeming “science” of the intro labs (I even had a lab partner!). Move the sensor, write down a number, repeat about 500 times :D
    5. After CENPA, I headed back to Haggett, ate an apple with peanut butter for much needed impetus, then off to Glee. Good rehearsal.
    6. Dinner at the 8 with Xin (outside). Tasty burrito :D Then to the IMA for some badminton. Defeated Xin soundly in an attempt to force him to up his footwork :D
    7. Returned to Haggett, sent some emails, looked into Western’s summer programs (looks like you need a teaching certificate to teach). Lots of other little things ate up time. Went to the Nook for ice cream, split with Xin. Laundry.
    8. Wrote this entry and shall hit the hay, so that I may work early tomorrow :D Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. I'm thinking about getting my teaching certificate while I'm at Western. With an English degree, it's only 2-3 extra quarters... I'm not really sure yet, but it seems like it could be a really good practical idea. In this job market, anything that increases my ability to get a job seems like a good idea, particularly with a degree in something like English.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that does seem like a good idea! I don't have the time to do it and I wish Western didn't require it :( But I'm with you! I think the initiative to get one would also look good to prospective employers in any field.

      Delete