Tuesday, January 26, 2016

1/26/15


  1. Highlight of today: Yoga with Hannah (from Polygamy)! We had time for a short conversation before the session began. It was really intense. Lots of balancing poses. When it was over, I was sure it had been 90 solid minutes, when it was only the normal hours. Time expansion FTW!
  2. Walked back to West Campus with Hannah. On the way, this dude approached us, said he had to make it to his new second job at a restaurant in Northgate in 30 minutes, and his drunk girlfriend had just kicked him out of her car. He needed $15 for a cab. My skepticism was rendered unnoticed by Hannah's enthusiastic, System 1 affirmative. We walked to the ATM, Hannah withdrew a $20. The dude told us to roll by Cedars on the Ave where he works for repayment any day. Seemed very genuine. But my weak System 1 could never have made the snap judgment that Hannah's did.
  3. Other things that happened today:
  4. Lunchbox seminar! Professor was very interested in each of our personal scientific interests, offered his take on each. He seemed really world-weary, though.
  5. Circuits lab! My partner works really fast, makes plenty of mistakes but keeps things going. We got stuck for a while on one part but otherwise would have finished early. 
  6. Went to the Endo clinic, got directions to the Advanced General Dentistry clinic where I had been referred, and busted some heads. More accurately, I got the secretary to print out my referral, and extracted a promise that they would call me tomorrow to make an appointment. 
  7. Returned to Haggett, did some reading for math and physics. Then grabbed dinner. Ran into Catherine and Vivian, ate for a bit with them, but they finished before I did. I also had run into Hira from physics, so we chatted for a bit over the remainder of my meal. We talked about homeschooling, since her mother works at a Montessori school. Made plans to make plans to get coffee. Actually, this last was really hilarious. She was like, "We should do this again sometime," and I replied, "Yeah, maybe we should grab coffee," (as a stand-in for a particular class of social interaction), and she picked up on this immediately. She knew (again, boss System 1) that I was using "coffee" in this sense and that I didn't actually drink coffee. Crazy, right?
  8. After Yoga, did some physics hw with Brandon, Brianna, Daniel, Winnie, which was fun.
  9. Now I'm going to sleep! Good night all!

2 comments:

  1. Good stuff! Way to bust some heads. Love the commentary on the magic of system 1s!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right! It's messed up. Totally alien to me.

      Delete