Wednesday, November 11, 2015

11/8-10/15

11/8: Got off the Lavin Retreat bus. Spent 4 hours doing 332 project, which were actually pretty productive. Then freaked out about grading I had to do. Eventually realized that other graders weren't done either and there was no way in Hades I would finish by the evening, so I relaxed, went to Yoga, which was great.

11/9: Highlight: Took a 2 hour nap! I'm running a pretty serious sleep deficit right now.
Other things that happened: did 312 hw all morning, had fun presentations class, went to SPS meeting, had dinner with Jasdeep at EJ burger.

11/10: Highlight: Played soccer with the floor! We have a great sports tradition going on top of our normal Tuesday floor tradition night. It was a blast, even though I'm feeling a bit sick. I got all competitive and sprinted a lot, which is going to cost me.
Other things that happened: Glee club, ate ice cream with Xin and Zach, who, as it turns out, is also auditioning for Urinetown! Also, after math, got a quick, bracing tutorial in group theory from the 15yr-old early entrance student Thomas. Weird transformations between the group that is the real line under multiplication and the group that is the real line under addition (basically a group is a set plus a binary operation; the two of them together must satisfy certain properties, like closure [two elements in the set must map to a third element by the operation]). And there's this crazy thing where you can cross product two smaller cyclic groups to get a higher-diml cyclic group. This probably doesn't make any sense, but I had fun; I'm trying to get back engaged with the math after being dispirited by our journeys deep into seemingly insightless symbols, as well as my poor midterm performance. There is really cool stuff going on, I just have to work to look at it the way I like to look at math.

Leroy on gentlepeople! Sincerely,
Spencer

No comments:

Post a Comment