Monday, January 5, 2015

UW Updates: The Triumphant Return

1.     UW Update Sunday Jan. 05: Quarter 2, Day 0
a.     Arrived in the dorm around 9:00 pm. Unpacked some stuff, then went to hang out in the lounge. Had good conversation with Sasha, Nicolas, Alex.
b.     Returned to the room and put away remaining stuff. Stopped in my tracks and dropped my apple bags when I realized the fridge shelves were dripping with water. The raw cooling element, as far as I could tell, was frosting up with moisture, then the frost was falling into a tray where it melted. This tray eventually overflowed. On inspecting and drying the fridge, I realized how disgusting it was (many stains from before its purchase). I quixotically scrubbed down the fridge, defrosting the cooling element by sponging on hot water.
c.      Briefly checked physics website.
d.     Went to bed.
2.     UW Update Monday Jan. 05: Quarter 2, Day 1
a.     Woke up bright and early (at 8:45 J) Ate a delicious onion bagel shipped from Bham on the walk to physics. We discussed basic electrostatics, then Brandon and I walked to the Bookstore to buy the only things we couldn’t get online: UW-specific lab manuals. I threw in some lead and extra scantrons for good measure.
b.     Walked back to the dorm and attended to those cleaning tasks I hadn’t gotten to yesterday. I swept the floor, filled my pencils with lead. My big win for today was removing the broken eraser from my favorite pencil using a piece of unwound notebook wire (hanger wire was too big) 
d.     Attended a Lunchbox Seminar. This time the speaker was a professor applying to work at the UW, so we were supposed to evaluate him. I haven’t gotten the evaluation out. He talked about low-dimensional materials, a hot topic in physics. Graphene has the fascinating but obscure property that electron momentum is linearly related to bond energy, which gives it odd conductive properties.
e.     Went to my teaching class. Should be a fun class! The professor, Frances McCue, pointed out to us that she had to exemplify what she taught—a tall order—but she carried it off well. We drafted class discussion standards, did an exercise where we described a moment of learning (I made the poor choice of the moment when I got why e^(i*theta) = cos theta + i sin theta, which was hard to describe J)
f.      Ate lunch. Got there too late to eat Motosurf, so joined Sarang in the Subway line. Got a big sandwich and read assignment for teaching class.
g.     Nobody was in the SPS for Go club, so I went to chess club. Gaaah—I just don’t know if that game grabs me anymore. Too much history, in a way.
h.     Returned to the dorm, studied for a bit, then headed off to play Badminton. The courts were stuffed, so I played basketball for a while and came back. Met Sarang and played a few good games. Made first tentative steps towards organizing lunch group by asking Sarang about his lunch habits and positing the most basic idea of a lunch group. He was amenable.

i.       Walked back to the dorm, ate a peanut butter banana in the lounge, showered, and wrote this log. Went to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment