Thursday, January 22, 2015

UW Update 1/21/15: The "Information Game" and the art of the fall

1.     UW Update 1/21/15
a.     Woke up, went to physics. We reviewed for exam Friday.
b.     Returned to dorm with Brandon. Did readings, email until my research class. Grabbed a hot lunch from Motosurf and ate it in class. The speaker was a professor of accounting, and she was actually awesome. She started off with a basic overview of accounting to support the idea that accounting is far more broad than bookkeeping; in general, it is the art of boiling down immense transaction histories into useful data models, some (but not all) of which need to be externally understandable.
c.      After the intro, she offered a wager based on the distribution of red and blue coins in various boxes. As the price of playing the wager approached its expected value, bidders dropped out until I was the only one left. So I played through this whole “information game”, where I had to hire an “auditor” (negotiated other student, who was also in my teaching class), and she discovered the possibility that the information I had paid for was fraudulent. Faced with a high probability of this, I switched my strategy, and it paid off. (The professor, Dr. Weili Ge, actually paid me off at the end of class, and I paid the “auditor”, Adree, I had hired, out of the winnings; we ended up splitting pretty evenly. It would have sucked if I had been unlucky: I wonder if the professor would have accepted my settlement in such a case.) I’m really curious whether the probability inherent in the game was faked for teaching purposes (i.e, whether all the coins in the box were actually of one color, and the scenario, except for my decisions which could be guided, was deterministic, or if Dr. Ge was ready to handle all pedagogical possibilities in terms of what the auditor drew and what I ended up drawing at the end)
d.     Dr. Ge then discussed her research, which was actually pretty cool. She analyzed how the tone of managers, as measured by their frequency of usage of optimistic and pessimistic words in conference calls, influenced both the actual accounting decisions and how they were perceived by investors. She also had come up with a score, based on a bunch of accounting variables (we were really rushing at this point) that estimated the odds that a firm was committing accounting fraud.
e.     After research class, went to teaching class, where Frances lectured for a while. It was actually really nice; since she doesn’t normally lecture, she had a lot of interesting things to say. She told one crazy story about an educator who had mentored her, who, when his wife died, moved to a smaller town and completely turned around a small poor dysfunctional HS by scrapping the entire curriculum and replacing it with a boatbuilding project, a very concrete idea which nonetheless required research, organization, etc. and provided storng motivation. The class ended with an idea-association thing which was a bit of a flop for our group.
f.      Returned to dorm and did readings for a while, worked on CSE application. Grabbed a quick slice of pizza then
g.     Went to Judo class, which I’d just signed up for. It was pretty cool. The instructors were knowledgeable but laid back, which was nice because I don’t need any more stress/trying to improve at things I don’t naturally learn quickly like music and dance right now. We practiced various falls and carrying each other back and forth, as foundation for learning throws.
h.     Then I got bogged down in picking out a gi (special Judo jacket that can be gripped in the course of sparring), and pants, that were the right size, getting a locker for them. I had never used a combination  lock before, so I needed to learn that.
i.       Came back, ate two more slices of pizza, then settled down to study for physics.
j.       Took a walk and listened to the first half of the first episode of Serial, a podcast by the This American Life folks following a real-life controversial cold murder case.

k.     Wrote this log and went to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment