Tuesday, June 7, 2016

6/6/16


  1. 6/6/16
    1. Math final! A bit of a struggle honestly--as much as I’d prepared I figured it wasn’t enough and I was right. But whatevs. I survived 3 quarters of this stuff.
    2. Hung out with classmates for a while, discussed problems. Then got into a conversation with classmate Everett about a physics circuit problem. I knew I knew the source of his confusion, so I spent about an hour trying to figure it out, followed him to Suzzallo before I finally got it.
    3. I swear, at that point my voice was shot, my brain was fried… so I called up Xin for some badminton. We also did some volleyball rallying, which was fun, help me prep for the homeschool volleyball camp.
    4. Worked out for a bit, then back to the grind. Lunch at Orin’s, studied for accounting exam, realized that marginal time studying > marginal time on the exam, so showed up to exam 10 minutes late. Still left 30 minutes early :D
    5. Worked on paper for a while outside Paccar. Got into a random conversation with some serious, well-dressed business faculty conversing in a very rationalist way about financial literacy education :) Also came up with a sweet proof that I’m very proud of, that I can represent an arbitrary graph such that the transition probability of going from state i to state j is the same as the inverse probability, as a regular graph where the probability of going to any neighbor of state i is just 1 / neighbors(i). Why is this cool? Cuz’ then I get to apply a theorem from earlier that all distributions go to the stationary distribution :D Which means all states are equally likely, which verifies the fundamental assumption of statistical mechanics (at least for the unlikely “strongly-reversible” case Pi->j = Pj->i)
    6. Met up with old buddy John Andrews for dinner (the guy I only talk to about arcane CS systems stuff). True to faith, John (more cynical and frustrated now than before, but just as entertaining)--ranted about the most hilarious “f---ing asinine” mistakes that dumb developers make, incredible goofy security loopholes, how all operating systems don’t manage processes correctly (they don’t! Zombie processes and waiting on children is stupid), helping Minecraft modders interpret crash logs. (Apparently he’s just been bored all quarter and so decided to learn the Minecraft crash reporting system.) Crazy life! But always fun to chat with John.
    7. Worked on paper a little bit longer, then went to Monday dance. On the bus, who do I find but Eleanor Kahn! After the Quarter Dance, she decided to come on out. Caught up with her for a while.
    8. Monday dance was fun, lots of just chatting and decent amt of dancing with Eleanor, Eleonore and Alex.
    9. On way back, got bubble tea with abovementioned three + Spencer Pease. Then back to Haggett, wrote this log and went to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment