Saturday, October 3, 2015

10/2/15

1.     10/2/15
a.     Wake up early, print physics flyers in physics building. Go to Olmstead’s Phys 224 class and make SPS announcement. Goes pretty well.
b.     Hang out in SPS lounge
c.      Math 334 section! Q&A on hw. TA does introductions; I write down names and try to memorize them during the section, while Issa looks at me amusedly.
d.     Meet with CS 332 project partner Hao Hu in Research Commons. Make a plan for doing the project and read up on the spec.
e.     332! Formal intro to big-O, omega, and theta notation definitions for the complexity of a program.
f.      312! Basic probability stuff.
g.     Schnapsen party! Head over to CSE building, meet in old Honors 143 section room, and play the card game Schnapsen with 312 classmates for 2 hours. At first I play a noob; teaching is tricky, b/c I barely know anything myself. But then I get to face off against Mintu, a girl of about my own level and engagement with strategy. An intense intellectual battle ensues, despite the fact that I’m running on 5 hours of sleep. Mintu eventually gets the best of me.
h.     I head back to Haggett, walking part of the way with Olga from 312/332/311 J I hear a bit more of her life story—apparently she’s bounced back and forth from university to university and program to program (Linguistics in Russia, Business here, Informatics here) until she found one she liked (UW CSE) at the age of 27.
i.       Get back to Haggett and immediately set off with the floor to the UW Men’s Soccer game against San Diego. It’s a beautiful night. Awesome venue, trees on most sides, looking at the fading sun over Husky Stadium. The game is very exciting. In the last 10 minutes, UW scores the winning goal, 1-0.
j.       Eat dinner at the 8 with John, Ee Lin, Tay, and Vivian from the floor.
k.     Return to Haggett, do email, try to read important parts of optional 332 textbook (that aren’t review), read a bit more about Eclipse.
l.       Brandon comes over and works on CS parallel with Xin. Eventually, I convince them to go out and boffer for a bit. They seem like they have a lot of fun.

m.   Write this log and go to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment