Monday, May 18, 2015

UW Update Sunday 5/17/15

1.     UW Update Sunday 5/17/15
a.     Interesting day, a day of culture J. Slept in again, showered, did a little hw, then grabbed a jerky stick and clif bar and set off to the Ethnic Cultural theater. Megan had mentioned the musical, Kiss Me, Kate, that she had been working on, and I realized that I’d intended to go. The last showing was today, and fortunately when I arrived there were still tickets. Ran into Tyler from Glee Club and chatted for a bit.
b.     The musical was pretty awesome. It’s a musical about a turn of the century American company performing Taming of the Shrew, which was mindbending at points.
c.      At the end of the show, the Stage Notes club celebrated the members who had been there since the club’s founding 4 years ago. The gift-giving ceremony and speeches were moving. I was thinking about getting into drama next year, and the Stage Notes club jumped out to me then as a good place to start. A student-run club, involves singing as well as acting, relatively low-key.
d.     Rushed out of the theater and ran to Alder Auditorium to see Sarang’s acappella group, Awaaz, in concert. Sat down next to Irina from CSE311 and her buddy from UW Academy. The songs were a strange but compelling blend of Western pop music with traditional Indian vocal music and a liberal sprinkling of Hindi. Intermission: chai and samosas, and I found I’d been misled—the chai and samosas were not free J I was out of money, but Irina spotted me $2 for chai. Have to figure out where to get $2 in greenbacks before CSE tomorrow J Chatted with Irina and her buddy Drew, an EE major.
e.     Awaaz also celebrated their graduating seniors, which was cool. We also got to hear a recording they had made in a professional studio.
f.      Irina and Drew hopped on a bus, and I returned to campus. Grabbed some pizza at the Pag and headed up to the lounge. Got into a game of Set with Brianna and August—one of the toughest games of Set around. Ate my pizza and apple and peanut butter and read Anna Karenina.

g.     Eleanor had organized a showing of the Two Towers. I stayed for the beginning, then retreated to my room, did some linear hw, then back out to the lounge. Left after the Helm’s Deep battle, took the basketball out to Denny. Wrote this log, went to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment