Thursday, February 19, 2015

UW Update Wednesday Feb. 18 (and Backlog for last couple of days)

1.     UW Update Wednesday Feb. 18
a.     Well, it looks like this is becoming a weekly thing after all! This week I have less excuse for it, but I’m still feeling pretty busy.
b.     Up to today:
                                                 i.     I had a nice weekend at home, saw a crazy production of Romeo and Juliet where all the lines were set to music, took a hike with my family, debated morality with Mom and Dad, hung out with my cousins, played some Frisbee with my sisters. It was really pleasant.
                                               ii.     Returned to school on Monday evening and watched a really cheesy “sci-fi” (not really) movie with some Physics classmates (Jia Wen, Camellia who was in my CS section, and another guy named Alex). Bussed back to the dorm and read for Cows.
                                              iii.     Tuesday morning, decided to keep my sleep schedule reasonable instead of pounding out a paper for Cows that I didn’t have any inspirations for, which means I need to do all of the last 3 papers. Went to Cows, where we talked about this really interesting (long!) article describing the progression of feelings about animals in England from early medieval times to present day. Class distinctions, religion, economics, nearly everything is wrapped up in this discussion of attitudes towards animals. I ate lunch with my “CS students in Cows” friends in Red Square, did physics hw, then went to Glee Club, where I still feel like I’m improving very rapidly. I really mastered this one high section of this barbershop song “Shine On Harvest Moon”. Skipped Salsa, again in exchange for sleep, did more physics hw and then reading for education.
c.      Today I:
                                                 i.      went to physics, hung out with Brandon while reading for education, then went to research where our speaker, a PhD student from the Information School studying adolescents’ use of technology, talked about techniques in qualitative research. Most recently, she and colleagues studied a dataset of 2000 or so comments to a blog post about bullying in HS by tagging comments to describe basic themes, aggregating these themes into general patterns, and coming up with hypotheses about the trends these patterns reflect. Interesting issues with this type of research involve cross-checking by collaborators to ensure their tags reflect concrete themes that multiple people would recognize, the art of grouping themes, etc. Very interesting.
                                               ii.     I ran to education class, where we talked about Ravitch’s book (the discussion was as scattered as the book felt). We talked about our group projects, and Issa and I were unable to sway anyone to join our exploration of unschooling.
                                              iii.     Went back to dorm, did physics hw, then played basketball at Denny field for about an hour. Did some 2-on-2, which was very fun, and then some 21.
                                              iv.     Grabbed my Judo gear and headed to dinner. Joined Tyler from Glee Club and some of his friends, who I soon extrapolated were all members of a Christian fraternity.
                                               v.     Headed to IMA, changed into gear. Learned some more pins, practiced escapes and defensive positions on the mat. Felt like I was learning quickly.
                                              vi.     Talked briefly with a classmate, Anton, who I think came here recently from France to do his Math PhD. He told us that tuition for masters’ students and PhD students was free, provided that they taught, for which they received extra salary beyond free tuition. Furthermore, the teaching load at the UW was pretty light compared to other colleges where Anton’s friends were teaching. This sounded appealing to me—like an alternate, higher-level Teach for America where I also got to be studying graduate-level stuff.
                                            vii.     Returned to dorm and hung out in the lounge, trying to read and socialize. As always, this was a challenge, but I managed to finish my reading and get conversations in with Eleanor, August, Brianna, and Chase.

                                           viii.     Wrote quick notes on my reading, placed a hold on a John Holt book to read for the unschooling project, wrote this log, and went to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment