Friday, February 13, 2015

UW Update Thursday Feb. 12

1.     UW Update Thursday Feb. 12
a.     Wow, another blank couple of days! Earlier in the week, had to finish my midterm paper, write a puzzle paper for teaching, write a short paper for Cows, finish my presentation for Cows, and do more physics hw, so that’s why. Over that time, we learned some escape pins in Judo, covered early Christian perspectives on animals in Cows, brainstormed group project ideas in teaching. Listened to another interesting speaker in my research seminar who worked on new medical technology (precise templates for repairing aortic aneurisms, bulges of unhealthy tissue in the aorta that could burst, by shielding the aneurism tissue from the blood flow with a stent, or tube of fabric). Without the templates, it was really hard to deal with boundary cases where there were multiple side arteries sticking out of the place to be grafted, and risky open surgery needed to be performed, vs inserting an inflatable fabric tube using guide wires through leg arteries, which only required local anesthesia and was much quicker and safer. Oh, and I went to a Ping-pong tournament where I got crushed. I then consoled myself by throwing the football around with some random people.
b.     Anyway, on Thursday, I set my alarm wrong and woke up right before tutorial. I ran to tutorial but was still 20 minutes late.
c.      Then I went to Cows, where I gave the second part of my Maasai presentation, which went well. I had a little more confidence and better images.
d.     Grabbed lunch at the HUB with the CS crowd in the Cows class, who I’d eaten with once before: Autumn, Erica, Mike, Clint.
e.     Went to physics lab, where we worked with capacitors. We had to develop our own intuition for them since we never really covered their role in circuits in class (so that we can cram in more relativity! Yay!)
f.       Worked on some hw in the dorm, then walked to Glee Club. Sang some more of this great song “No Time”, and worked more on “Fix You”. Stephen and another TA were leading today since Dr. Boers is somehow off in Thailand.
g.     Grabbed some dinner at the 8 with Xin, Brandon, Donovan, and Xin’s friend Christopher.
h.     Headed back to dorm. Eleanor now faces the dreaded CSE 142 midterm, so she had a few questions for me.
i.       Went to the Research Commons and studied physics with Xin and Brandon. Chase was going to be there but something came up. We found a mistake in the formula sheet and spent way too long trying to prove it was a mistake before Xin suggested that we check the units, which clearly did not agree across the equals sign.

j.       Returned to dorm, ate a delicious brownie courtesy of the Winslows, who sent me an amazing box of food. Studied more physics before turning in.

No comments:

Post a Comment