Tuesday, November 18, 2014

UW Daily Update Monday Nov. 17: Low-dimensional materials, x = change(x), and Go challenge

1.     UW Daily Update Monday Nov. 17
a.     Armed with peanut butter and raisins stuffed in my coat pockets, I head to the Motosurf truck and grab a very reasonably priced, generous serving of oatmeal. I head to the physics tables and chow down.
b.     Class feels like mostly review.
c.      Work on lecture homework. Get bogged down in loads of erroneous algebra. The problem is simple in concept and could conceivably be done any number of ways, but the art of the thing is to frame the problem in a way such that symmetries cause forces to cancel, resulting in simple math. I do it the hard way, and even then I could have solved it, but I make annoying mistakes.
d.     Walking to the Lunchbox Seminar, I mull over the advantages my awesome code editor has given me and resolve to procure a copy of Mathematica, to see if an interactive environment will do as much for math as it does for coding.
e.     I go to the engineering website, and Mathematica is free, but I have to wait a couple of days for student verification information to be processed, since I restricted release of my student directory information. Frustrating!
f.      The Lunchbox Seminar is fascinating as always. It’s the first time we have a female lecturer. She’s working on the properties of so-called “low-dimensional” materials like graphene, thin sheets of carbon 1 atom thick. As always, I feel like I need to have a better grounding in quantum mechanics to understand what’s really going on, but I get a lot of interesting stuff.
g.     Her research includes the following:
                                                 i.     Putting molecules on sheets of graphene to understand how the electrons react.
                                               ii.     Using a capacitor to add excess electrons to thin sheets of material, then observing how properties like the distribution of charge on the material change with instruments that take advantage of quantum tunneling of electrons to measure average charge.
                                              iii.     Sandwiching together sheets of different materials and figuring out how these very precisely defined contact interactions affect the materials.
                                              iv.     Measuring the conductivity of sheets of graphene, which usually contain defects which result in (resistance? Without the defects, would graphene be a superconductor with negligible resistance?)
h.     Graphene can be synthesized in neat ways.
                                                 i.     You may have heard this already, but pieces of graphene can be obtained by applying adhesive tape with just the right amount of stick to graphite and peeling off the tape. Then when you stick the tape down on a substrate more attracted to the graphene than the tape is, you can deposit the graphene on the substrate. Graphene obtained this way actually exists in square-micron size blotches of pure graphene interspersed between pieces of carbon several atoms thick, and places where no carbon was deposited. But the blotches of graphene can be detected and isolated for study.
                                               ii.     You can react a sheet of copper with methane (CH4), then use hydrofluoric acid (I think? Don’t really understand this) to react away the hydrogens, leaving just the carbon on the copper in very large sheets of pure graphene. Sheets the size of tablecloths have been synthesized this way.
                                              iii.     Graphene can be cut atom by atom using advanced equipment. Some catalysts actually cut graphene naturally along regular patterns. (In the presence of nickel ion, graphene severs jaggedly J )
i.       Neat stuff! Also, if graphene between a charge source and a charge drain is cut so that the middle is slimmer than the ends, like a constricted portion of a river, the electrons will behave as they would in a river, speeding up in the constricted portion (or so I gathered).
j.       After the Lunchbox Seminar, I eat lunch at the HUB (two small slices of pizza is not enough for me). Wander into Hannah and chatted with her while I ate.
k.     Go to CS, where we discuss parallel processing as a side topic and some list methods I’d already seen.
l.       Return to dorm and get computer science assignment working. Resolve some inner confusion about whether I need to use a pattern that’s a fundamental feature of C++, but a hack in Java. If I pass a variable pointing to a list as a parameter to a method in Java, and tell that variable inside the method to point to a different list, the actual variable passed in (outside the method call) doesn’t now point to the different list. To get this to happen, I have the method return the different list, and tell the variable pointing to the original list to point to the result of the method where I pass in that variable. This is known as the x = change(x) pattern. I figure out where I needed to use it and where it was extraneous.
m.   Go to Go club. Play a training game and learned some neat stuff. Rachel challenges me to a game for next meeting, saying (intimidatingly) she enjoys judging people’s strength.
n.     Eat pizza and read physics at the 8.
o.     Play badminton. I feel like I’m really improving!
p.     Return to dorm, shower, do physics hw, write log.


No comments:

Post a Comment