Saturday, November 8, 2014

UW Daily Update Friday Nov. 7

1.     UW Daily Update Friday Nov. 7
a.     Woke up and headed to physics. The day dawned bright and crisp, with no hint of the rain that has hung over the UW the past couple of weeks.
b.     Did more fun graphical calculus and motion-to-force applications.
c.      Studied with Eleanor, John and Jia Wen. Eleanor talked John and me into having bubble tea with her, Jia Wen, and Evie. I had the taro bubble tea, which Eleanor recommended; it was pretty weird. I’m getting more used to the little tapioca balls at the bottom of the cup, though J
d.     I also tried a piece of fried, battered tofu that Jia Wen had ordered. Who knew such things existed?
e.     Returned to the dorm and did physics postlab and homework.
f.      Ate lunch with Jamie in the HUB.
g.     Walked over to CS where we discussed how to trace recursive backtracking for debugging, and our upcoming assignment.
h.     Returned to dorm, studied for physics. Chris had wanted to play Frisbee, and the weather was finally good, so I texted him, but he was busy. Jamie and I went to Denny Field and tossed the Frisbee around for the better part of an hour.
i.       I showered back at the dorm, then hustled over to the Seattle Children’s hospital to visit my homeschooled friend. Afterwards, I ate dinner with my friend’s family and another visitor at an Italian restaurant.
j.       They dropped me back at the dorm and I gave them some of Izzy’s fudge J
k.     I returned to homework. Then I got a text from Xin asking if I wanted to play tennis. I was a little surprised given the late hour, but decided to go for it. Xin, Brandon (from Physics) and I went down to Rick’s first, then headed out to the tennis courts. We couldn’t get the lights to work, and eventually hypothesized that the lights, which were scheduled to turn off at 11:00, had not been set for Daylight Savings and thought it was 11:30 when it was 10:30. So Brandon and I played the game of “how many hits can we get in a row when we can’t really see the ball” while Xin amused himself on the sidelines with our erroneous play.
l.       Returned to dorm and found that floormates were watching movie. Decided to join them. The movie turned out to be a bizarre comedy called “Zoolander” about a not-so-bright male model involved in a plot to kill the Malaysian prime minister. It was pretty funny.
m.   After the movie, I hung out in the lounge for another half hour with August and Megan. Megan (a Drama/English major) described her experience watching her friend play Dr. Horrible  in a performance of Dr. Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog. Then August and Megan started talking about different web-comics and graphic novels they were reading. Another very interesting subculture, with a lot of majesty and depth (although August told me you have to wade through 10 bad comics to get to one really good one, due to low industry barriers to entry (a computer and the belief that you’re a decent artist)). We read the first chapter of Knite, which was about a group in a polluted area of China putting up lighted kites to replace the smog-obscured stars (story: weird, but the art was beautiful J).

n.     Returned to room, moved to study room to avoid disturbing Jamie’s rest, wrote log, then went to bed.

2 comments:

  1. Love it all! What was the bike mishap back in October?

    I wonder if you guys are heading to the UCLA game today? We'll look for you on camera...

    ReplyDelete