Sunday, September 25, 2016

9/24/16


  1. 9/24/16
    1. Slept in really late. Had a fascinating dream about a more realistic backstory for the Star Trek movie conflict, where post-singularity aliens decided to go back to their primitive state and left themselves emergency instructions for rebuilding their civilization that triggered when humans arrived in the vicinity.
    2. Went downstairs and ate breakfast. Got into a conversation with Molly, our friendly roommate. Then joined by Kenneth, senior history major. Felt awkward chatting with my bowl of cereal long drained, but had a really interesting conversation. Ken wants to teach HS in Tukwila, where there’s a very diverse student body, lots of refugees (really?) and immigrants.
    3. 12:30, Xin comes down and we go to meet Josh and another friend, Tanvi, for lunch. Meet at this cool waterfront Mexican place called Aguas Verdes, sit outside, portions are large but not amazing. Josh is his normal cheerful life-is-a-good-natured-joke self; having abandoned plans of getting into CSE, he switched to Environmental Ethics (apparently randomly) and is now applying to 100+ internships as a numbers game. Tanvi is a ACMS biology option major, very friendly.
    4. Tanvi leaves, Josh Xin and I walk to Gasworks. Toss around the frisbee for a while, feels good. Back to Josh’s Stevens Court apartment, run into that nihilist dude Sam from Rick’s cafe. Play some Smash, get destroyed.
    5. Return to campus, go to Mary Gates to work. Surprise! I run into another acquaintance--Caleb Huffman from my presentations honors class. We get into a long conversation. He wants to go into US politics the hard way--law school, clerking at a federal court, etc. Figures there ought to be some honest folk in that game. We talk about Trump and argue about biological determinism. Before I know it, it’s nearly 6pm. I’ve invited Andrew Li from math to cook dinner with me, so I hustle over to Safeway.
    6. Andrew’s blue jacket is recognizable anywhere. We go into Safeway, buy taco stuff, talk about CSE 5th-year masters and our summer experiences. He’s been doing research at the UW about turning databases into matrices and factoring them :)
    7. Back to 2104, Xin comes down to help cook. Andrew masterfully whips up homemade pico de gallo while Xin dices cheese and I cook the meat. End up sharing the meal with Jan, the basement artist, and Matt, who I don’t know much about yet.
    8. Brandon comes in at the end and we get into a game of pool. I play crazily well the first game, Brandon and I dominating Andrew and Xin. Second game is more even as everyone’s play deteriorates. So much fun! Andrew has the cheer coming from working all day and then relaxing.
    9. Andrew then gets on the piano. He’s amazing. He looks like the guys in Your Lie in April (an anime I’d been watching with the family, and which, in fact, Andrew knows. He tells me the song he’s playing is from the show finale.) I just sit there for a while and watch him.
    10. Hang out with Emily and Andrew in the kitchen for a bit. Then Xin and I walk Andrew home. He’s got a nice apartment about 6 blocks from campus, although it’s in total disarray. I see on my calendar UW vs. Arizona has 20 minutes left and it’s a close game, so we use my HFS streaming privileges to grab the game; Andrew and I watch the harrowing final minutes (Go! Huskies! Spoiler, we win!)
    11. Head back to 2104, write this log and pass out before convocation tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment