Wednesday, May 25, 2016

5/24/16 + lastFewDaysRecap


  1. 5/24/16
    1. Well, gosh, it’s been another eventful few days. Hopefully I can flesh this out later.
    2. Friday: SPS officer elections. Lots of shenanigans--decided not to run for president, lost VP by a thin margin, but who wants to do that anyway? Will be community builder again. Swing at Eastside. An occurrence to expand on later--Alex breaks up with me. Still working on sifting emotions / figuring this out. But makes more sense (in a surprising sort of way) than you might think, as I learn talking with Alex Sunday.. Crazy System 1 stuff :) It seems like, very rough picture, a) system 1 attraction overrides everything else despite Alex’s best efforts to make our on-paper, System 2 perfect relationship work, and b) Alex isn’t feeling the system 1 attraction (for whatever reason, might be partly because I don’t know what I’m doing, might be because of stresses in her life, etc.)
    3. Saturday: Trip to LIGO! Lots of driving. Meet Brianna and Brandon’s parents on the way back.
    4. Sunday: Brunch is amazing. Make North African poached eggs with Brandon, plus cheesy potatoes and french toast. Then meeting with Alex, learning and sensible denouement, actually pretty enjoyable (waiting forever to use that word in a sensible context). Then lots of work.
    5. Monday: Basically work all day, catching up on systems programming. Group tutoring session is fun. Prof. Wilkes jumps in on our tutoring session, but I’m not sure I agree with his tutoring style--very diffusive through the whole body of knowledge, rather than helping the student focus on the most effective way of thinking of the problem (which is the heart of physics IMO). Meet a Chinese freshman Alan whom I’d met at LIGO and got dinner with him. Then go to Monday night dance, which is great.
    6. Today: Relaxing breakfast, manage to make oatmeal. Then go to math, which is a bit confusing, very out of sync with readings and hw.
    7. Hence to a tutoring meeting. Then get lunch with Ayush, which is fun. The shmid is crazy busy, among lots of stuff, he’s helping plan DubHacks for next year.
    8. Meet Ronaldo to talk about what I should be doing to wrap up my research efforts for this quarter. Basically decide I should keep fiddling around with Comsol, make another simulation and another bunch of measurements to check the methodology we’re already using (which is yielding slightly flawed results). Email Garcia and the dude is OK with me working mostly on classes for the rest of the quarter, which I need to do.
    9. Go back to Haggett, drive myself crazy trying to learn the linear algebra I need to understand this section in my random walks on graphs paper from random online sources. Decide to hit the gym and go climbing, for an hour before Glee, which is very satisfying.
    10. Glee is fun. Learn I get one of the solos for Loch Lomond :) Lots of practicing to do :D
    11. Back to Haggett, dinner, read more of my math paper, restore a bit of sanity reading more interesting, less technically detailed parts of it. Then floor tradition, Pictionary! Our team gets its donkey hindquarters handed to itself, but Xin plays, which is great.
    12. Skype with Mom and Dad (going back this Memorial Weekend :)
    13. Get Rick’s, read more math, write this log, and go to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment