Sunday, December 7, 2014

Saturday Dec. 6: The Detergent Journey, Chocolate, Peanut Butter, and Container Shipping, and Competitively Altruistic Laundry Racing

1.     Saturday Dec. 6
a.     Woke up and did CS PracticeIt problems in the lounge. Fixed my solution from last night—a typo in one line had been breaking it in a complex, not easily traceable way. Watched a floormate come to despair over her upcoming Calc midterm (she thought she did fine afterwards).
b.     Ate lunch at Which Wich. Got the Wicked, a dollar extra for 5 meats. When I picked up my bag I was surprised at the weight of it; it was really good.
c.      Hung out at Which Wich, did more PracticeIt problems and some physics tutorial homework. The PracticeIt linked list problems continued to be frustrating.
d.     Went to Badminton club. Played a match against a better player and a worse player; the results were predictable. Learned some form that I had been lacking.
e.     Took shower, decided I really wanted a peanut-butter, fruit, and chocolate dinner, so stayed in room and ate a peanut butter banana and a peanut-butter apple while reading a pirated copy of this book linked to on Ribbonfarm called “The Box: How the Shipping Container Made the World Smaller and the World Economy Bigger”.
f.      Did PracticeIt problem. I needed to get laundry done but had run out of detergent before Thanksgiving. I was trying to ration my socks to see if I could make it to break, but I wasn’t even close. Frustrated with PracticeIt and a floor incident I will neglect to mention, I decided to regain control over my life by obtaining detergent. The convenience store in McMahon had only disgusting scented detergent. So I trekked to Trader Joe’s wearing nothing but a T-shirt (since I hadn’t anticipated the journey when I left Haggett), got detergent, gorp, and fruit, and walked back triumphant wearing a T-shirt and a grin. If only happiness were always so simple to come by J
g.     I brusqued through the laundry process (should be valid English usage) and got to work on my CS practice final.
h.     Finished the final with time to spare and (apparently) all working solutions.
i.       Went to get my laundry. On the way back, encountered Hannah and decided to head up the stairs with her (she had been trapped in our creaking dorm elevator in the dark for two minutes near the beginning of the quarter, so she always takes the stairs). This resulted in a lively game of door-holding competitive altruism as we raced up the stairs, through the floor 1 hallway, and up the main stairwell to the 6th floor.
j.        Folded my laundry with consummate efficiency.
k.     Hung out in the room with Xin and Jamie.

l.       Wrote log and went to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment