Friday, October 10, 2014

UW Highlights Update Friday Oct. 10

1.     Highlights Update Friday Oct. 10
a.     Wake up and go to physics. Study kinetic energy and k-work (effecting changes in kinetic energy). I learn a subtly different way of thinking of changes in KE, as velocity times the component of the change in momentum in the direction of the velocity, vs a small displacement times the component of force in the direction of the displacement.
b.     Study with Eleanor and John, a guy in Physics that was in Taylor Series at WCC. John and I get hung up on a problem from his differential equations class, postponing my progress on physics homework and resulting in a frustrating morning. Finally, I get what I’m pretty sure is a correct result (corroborated by Wolfram Alpha) but it doesn’t have any exponentials in it, which messes with both my and John’s intuitions.
c.      We eat lunch at the 8. I get the two cheeseburgers, a good deal referred to on order slips as the CHEAPOBURGER.
d.     Head back to dorm, can’t muster energy to do HW after draining morning, so read Logicomix.
e.     Go to CS class and let stuff I mostly know wash over me and dribble into any gaps in my understanding.
f.      Had planned to take nap but realized CS class had the same effect. Refreshed, tackle physics homework, then move on to ordering omelette pans from Amazon—gotta start utilizing the cheap protein power of the egg—and setting up my new, awesome code editor, IntelliJ, which is expensive but free for students.
g.     Go play basketball with Chase. Was going to grab Chris but realized I don’t have his number. I think I gave him mine and he forgot to message me. We go to the gym under McMahon and get good exercise chasing the ball off wall-bounces. I teach Chase some of the fundamentals of shooting.
h.     Just get back to the dorm when I receive the news that Jamie, Eleanor, and four others (floormates, Nick, Sam, Sasha, and Alex. These sound like boring English-American names, but Nick (Nicolas) is French, Sam is Korean, and Alex is Chinese) are dining on the Ave! Hustle to join them. We eat sushi (mildly expensive, but I roll with it), then go order bubble tea, which I’ve never tried. It’s very good, like a cold glass of tea-flavored whole milk. At the bottom are these little tapioca balls (bubbles) which have no flavor, just a chewy texture. Even though the tea is prepared in house, the cup comes with the top shrink-wrapped instead of lidded; if you look behind the counter you can see the shrink-wrapping machine. You have to punch through the shrink-wrapping with your straw to get to the tea.
i.       Get back to the dorm and plug away on my programming assignment. With my new, buttery IDE (editor), I reach flow quickly and finish the whole assignment well before I expected.

j.       Write this log and hit the hay. I signed up for a programming competition early in the morning, so I better be well-rested!

No comments:

Post a Comment