Thursday, June 1, 2017

5/29/17: Memorial Day Brunch and a Watery Ride O'er Liffy Swells


  1. 5/29/17: Memorial Day Brunch and a Watery Ride O'er Liffy Swells
    1. Brunch with the Mercer crew! I hustle to pick up my bike from West Campus and then bike back north to get cheap produce at Rising Sun.
      1. Pick up Gaya at Terry and proceed to Mercer, where we immediately start cracking (eggs). I delegate the processing of all my veggies to a swarm of eager threads and begin blackening peppers and tomatillos for salsa.
      2. Gaya takes up the noble “potato captain” role and busily turns a mountain of diced potatoes into a delicious mountain of cooked and seasoned diced potatoes. Meanwhile, I finish the salsa (will it blend??); my threads terminate with piles of bell pepper and mushroom for the eggs, which Trevor expertly cooks alongside Gaya and myself.
      3. We chow down on the eggs and potatoes, as well as a huge pile of waffles Meera has been tossing out from Trevor’s waffle maker.
      4. We hang out after for some Cards against Humanity with Gaya’s set.
    2. I run over to Maple for tutoring with Shana. We find a study room facing out over the courtyard where a raucous carnival is taking place, shut the window, and get to work. Shana, organized as always, has a long list of problems and concepts to review. It’s a lot of fun, and I pull down a good $33.
    3. Head to Terry and study on the roof with Gaya. Then I realize the IMA is closing too soon for me to get in some hoops and become disconsolate; together Gaya and I come up with the tremendous idea of renting a canoe! We go down to the waterfront and rent one--after me getting my Husky card at the gym and randomly running into Professor Domingos; plus an amusing incident where I put my bag on top of a bunch of lockers and it falls behind, so I have to climb up on the lockers and extract it with our canoe paddle’s hooked handle ;P
    4. We get out on the water! It’s a beautiful hot day, perfect for splashing each other. We cruise out to the Edgemoor coast, stop in at a posh garden party to ask the time, round the point for a panoramic view of more wealthy neighborhoods (and Rainier), and then row top speed back. Make it back to the Waterfront Activities Center 5 minutes before 8; just before pulling in, I jump out of the canoe and climb back in :D
    5. Part with Gaya and bike home soaking wet. The rest is dinner and homework--Classical Mechanics with Jacob in the SPS, which is actually really fun--we learn a lot from each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment