Friday, January 6, 2017

1/5/17: Day 3 (and what a fine day!)


  1. 1/5/17: Day 3 (and what a fine day!)
    1. Wake up a bit late, breakfast and shower.
    2. Hit the Ave, grab a chapstick at Bartells and pick up my notebooks at the bookstore. While at the bookstore, I look up my biophysics text on Amazon and decide to rent the ebook; while I do that, good ol’ Carmen from CS and Honors Physics walks up. We chat for a while, seems like she’s killing herself with CS classes and the Security capstone, but having a good time.
    3. Run to the EEB to sit in on the probabilistic methods grad class. The professor Pedro Domingos has to be one of the most composed and organized people I’ve ever met. He has a prodigious research background, but so does Marcel in physics, who is disorganized (not in a bad way, goofy) in lecture. This guy, you could put his lectures up on edX as is.
    4. He also likes to pepper the class with questions. Not sure what I think of him but I love the clarity of the lecture and everything was organized very well. I wasn’t in the class yet, needed the prof’s approval to get to the front of the “waitlist” so I was sweating bullets until I saw my opportunity to ask an pointedly intelligent question, something along the lines of, “is it useful to treat a particular outcome of a discrete random variable as a derived boolean variable”, and then I relaxed a tad. Failed to cash in on it though, I talked to Domingos afterwards and he didn’t ask my name, couldn’t insert it non-awkwardly, so there was nothing to link my name to the email.
    5. But a few hours later, I got an email saying I was in! :D :D
    6. In the meantime, ate lunch, read a little Seveneves, met my CaC team, ran into Alex randomly and had a good conversation, had a short CaC class on the “bullwhip effect” whereby the time lag in a multiple-part supply chain leads to overcompensation, then hit the gym.
    7. Some very solid games of hoops, a short abs workout, and I was heading to Music for Glee. Great rehearsal, I was in a swaggy mood and everything was peachy.
    8. Shultzy’s afterward, got to talk to Hugh about physics research, plus had a good CSE conversation with Paul. Also got to meet Cameron Blecha’s friend (CB is my ol’ buddy from Ferndale chess who’s back with Glee this quarter).
    9. Got a message from Gayatri :D Speedwalked down to Terry and 60% hung out, 40% “hung out” for about half an hour :P Had a good time, felt very unambiguous :)
    10. Returned to 2104 by way of Oasis for a taro bubble tea and Safeway for some 2104 family dinner (breakfast themed!) ingredients.
    11. Read E&M then QM, quick brownie break. Xin surprised me with the brownies, kept prompting me to come down for ice cream, then sprung a hot delicious pan of the things on me. They drew Selorm and Lisa and Abby too, good kitchen convention.
    12. Wrote this log and hit the hay!

No comments:

Post a Comment