Thursday, January 5, 2017

1/4/17: Day 2


  1. 1/4/17: Day 2
    1. Wake up, eat breakfast with Evan, and head down to Quantum.
    2. Prof. Cobden shows us all (anonymized) the responses of the class to the end-of-quarter questionnaire for last quarter. Very honest move. He resolved to address some of the student complaints, laughed at our appreciation of his “dry british humor”. Witnessed the genesis of some dank memes, in particular, to the question, “did this class stretch your thinking”, some unnamed wiseguy wrote “mmm, stretchy”.
    3. Review of angular momentum.
    4. Head to SPS lounge, hang out, answer emails. Talk to Judith and Winnie for a bit. Judith’s working her way through a crazy music curriculum + CSE + physics.
    5. Biophysics! I’m so pumped for this class :D Professor Marcel wrote a hilarious introductory lecture note which he partially shared with us in class, then we jumped right into a discussion of the important energy scales in living organisms (thermal fluctuations about kT = 1/40 eV, (this is the scale of energy molecules will spontaneously obtain from their environment when bombarded with other moving molecules) hydrogen bonds and ATP energy storage around 5kT, covalent bonds at 200kT).
    6. Talk to Prof. Marcel about reading group. He said he’d be happy to do it next quarter if I was too busy. I think it will depend on whether I get into my CSE grad class. Re that, just got an email from Prof. Domingos saying there is a waitlist for the class and asking for qualifications :/
    7. Chow a bar and run to the gym. Slow at first but get into a good game of hoops. Rebound well :D
    8. Return to 2104, make myself a delicious sandwich, chat with Molly and read E&M.
    9. Not much time before I wrap my secret santa present and run off to meet Gayatri in the music building. We hang out in a practice room singing (we sing some duets from High School Musical :D :D) for about an hour. Then she’s off to Paccar and I’m off to the Swing party. All the Swingers I know are there. I have a terrific time, lots of good dancing, get to dance with a few noobs. Lots of dancing with Alex, make up some new moves. Get into a hilarious conversation about nothing in particular. Fielder and I joke about labeling classes with complex numbers to avoid ranking issues, that the complex analysis classes would be labeled i for the imaginary unit and the three quarter sequence thusly described by i i, i ii, i iii.
    10. Go to team food with the swingers. We eat at Little Thai. Our server is really nice older lady, she recommends me a delicious meat-heavy dish when I say I’m really hungry. Chow down. One of the best social conversations I’ve had in a while, Alex, Julia, Henry, Trevor and I laughing our heads off about silly things.
    11. Return to campus. Realize I’ve left my computer in the music building and go to retrieve it.
    12. Work in casa for a while. Mom calls and I doodle with my lovely new drafting pencils from Christmas and the Secret Santa exchange. Nearly get some work done on the CaC website. Grab Xin for some ice cream and cookies. Chat with Selorm for a bit. Then realize I have to do more email and do that. Now, alas, it is 1am.
    13. Night readers!

No comments:

Post a Comment