Tuesday, December 6, 2016

12/5/16: Almost... Done...


  1. 12/5/16
    1. Today was a homework day.
    2. Woke up bright and early to try to finish StatMech. Didn’t quite finish it. When I got to class, my buddy Erin asked me whether I had finished it :) It was quite a homework. Marcel’s really throwing everything at us at once.
    3. Go to work in the h-Bar, crunching on the Bo and Whimsy website (which we’re making for another CaC team who are making a children’s book (Bo and Whimsy)).
    4. Duck into the lunchbox but since I’m live-chatting with a rep from Squarespace don’t hear the full story. Get my pizza, ask a question, and when the lunchbox devolves into talking about grad school prep, I bounce.
    5. Go to the 6th floor data science center. Brianna had told me their group often studied up there. Lo and behold, they were there in a group room. I said hi, then went back to work.
    6. Finish up the layout of the Testimonials page. Pick some cute hand-drawn fonts (Squarespace has integration with everything, including a vast repository of fonts called TypeKit). Fix a few other things. Then try to eliminate annoying extra whitespace that appears to be a bug in the template.
    7. Hacking around with injecting CSS is going nowhere. My computer dies, so I run back to 2104. Send the proto-website off for review to the Bo and Whimsy team, then pack off to the gym. Get into a good intense game of ball that we should have won :)
    8. Return to 2104, on the way back stopping by the 8 for food. Chow down, shower, then off to meet the CaC team to go over our presentation, which is happening tomorrow. Damir and Zoltan magically are able to present perfectly without practice. I, however, will need to rehearse :D
    9. Run over to Open Flight Studio for the Monday night dance! At first Holly is the only follow, but since the leads prefer to sit around and talk anyway, I get some good dancing in. Then Rebeca shows up and the party gets started. Lots of fun dancing, especially with Holly, who is like an idealized model of a follow (from a physics viewpoint; you give her momentum or angular momentum, and she maintains that momentum until you next change it, which is the height of technique, and quite difficult). Learning how to discard all your practical assumptions about real-life follows and dance with an ideal follow (the opposite of what you have to do in physics) is interesting and allows the development of new moves :D
    10. Get into an argument with John about the viability of a math IDE after finding out he works for fledgling SAGE Math, a competitor to Mathematica. He (strangely) doesn’t give my ideas much consideration, claiming that what I’m trying to do has already been done. (If so, why do people still use pencil and paper?! And no, a notebook where you can ask Python libraries questions about mathematical objects doesn’t qualify as a proof-writing environment). He does seem knowledgeable though; perhaps I will write up a carefully argued summary of my proposed functionality and see what he can carefully argue in return.
    11. A few last dances, then back to 2104, where I study up for Quantum. Somehow in the process I get linked to the Tensors section of the Mathematical Physics textbook I never read since I never took 228. Start reading that, it’s very good, clear conceptual explanations.
    12. Write this log and hit the hay!

No comments:

Post a Comment